Thursday, December 13, 2012

Kate's Cassoulet

Last week, my lovely fiancée Kate made a delightful cassoulet. We were discussing what to do for Sunday dinner. We were thinking something in the Crockpot. I’m not sure what made me think of it but I mentioned the possibility of a cassoulet. Cassoulet is a southern French slow cooked dish made with white means and a variety of meats.
Kate's version included pork shoulder, bacon, and chorizo. The chorizo was an interesting twist, obviously not part of the traditional recipe, but really really good. Another twist was the addition of garbanzo beans. Normally the dish is made with only white navy beans.  The garbanzo beans were a pleasant surprise I was not expecting. Overall the dish was amazing, so tasty, so porky, so savory, so satisfying. Kate served the dish with crusty French bread.
I've had cassouelets in the south of France and at French restaurants in Chicago; this one might just be my favorite. The fact that Kate was able to perfect this dish on her first try was amazing. I had to remind myself that I was in Chicago and not Toulouse. I am so lucky to be engaged to such a wonderful cook! The picture below does not do it justice but trust me, it was phenomenal.
Steaming savory goodness

No comments:

Post a Comment